Friday, May 16, 2008

Extended Time on GMAT

Wow – time passes quickly! I can’t believe it has two months since I posted on this blog. Consistent blogging is a skill and I admire those of you who are able to maintain your blogs daily.

Since my last blog, I took the GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test) and did much better than I expected. I received extended time on the test, which really helped as I know I could not have competed fairly with my peers without the additional time.

Why do I get additional time on my test if I only have a hearing loss?

When I was three years old, I was identified with a moderate to severe sensorineural hearing loss. Age three is considered a late diagnosis and therefore I was delayed in the formation of auditory skills needed for the development of perceptual organization and processing skills. As a result, the speed at which I process information is slower than my hearing peers. Therefore, my ability to perform on time-crunch exams is affected.

Throughout my education years in grammar school, high school, and college – accommodations have been made available to me to so I could have the opportunity to be educated in curriculums developed for hearing students. Accommodations afforded to me were as follows:
o Alternative Testing Services (i.e. taking test in room by myself with a proctor)
o Extended time on course exams
o 50% Additional Time on Standardize Tests
o Note taking Services
o Preferential Seating Recommendation Services

I had to provide extensive documentation in order to get extended time. The documents I provided include:
o Audiograms (a document that shows hearing levels for certain sounds) of my hearing loss from initial diagnosis to date
o Psychological Examinations performed by doctors over the course of my life
o Audiological and Speech Language Evaluation

The intent of providing the documentation was to show that I have had a disability over the course of my life and that it has limited my perceptual organization and process skills. While I have these skills, they don’t perform at same rate as hearing people, but that doesn’t mean I’m slow ;).

No comments: